Chatted with Kiri and she sent the following.
John Wallace and me will be in Opotiki from Tuesday (travelling Monday 16/1).
Kiri’s NZ mobile is: 021 261 2108.
Rehearsals in Opotiki
Friday – 10am – Crossroads Cafe and Bar at the Royal Hotel
Saturday – 9am – Catholic Church – Kiri will confirm.
Other opportunities with Kiri’s whanau
Thursday 19/1 at :
- BBQ and swim from 5pm.
BYO barbie stuff and drinks. Will provide salads n veg, cake,
- If very hot and dry, may ask for gold coin donation – towards water cost (property off-grid – water, Power and phone reception).
- Address: 1747 State Highway 35, Awaawakino / Morice’s Bay. Approx. 12 miles (20 mins) from Opotiki, just before Torere. There will be a sign: Camp Ukestralia on fence. Drive in.
Property before it is Coral’s BnB (belongs to cousins). (Have a look here for the Google Map view of it – zoom in and out etc.)
- Please confirm attendance for catering.
- Before 10am, meet at inside gateway to Torere Marae, State Highway 35. Approx 15 miles east of Opotiki.
- Parking inside gate at roadside.
- Powhiri starts 10am and will run for 2 – 3 hours, including morning tea.
Welcome, history and storytelling, tour of Marae, cultural exchange, morning tea.
- Cultural exchange means just that: we offer something of our place. I suggest My Island Home.
- A koha (folding money contribution) to be made to Marae. Need numbers and ask everyone for $5 per head donation.
- Monday afternoon, people welcome to our family beach to snorkel, swim, fish, gather kaimoana (seafood). Can bring a picnic lunch, cook over a driftwood fire, etc. or just head on their way.
- Will need numbers for Marae visit for catering. Open to anyone who wants to come.