This is a very special opportunity to learn solo-ing finesse and flexibility from one of Australia’s ukulele and guitar masters Sam Lemann.
Course is on Wednesday evenings – 14th Oct to 11 Nov (inclusive)
This is a FIXED course over five consecutive weeks using Zoom. Each session is 1.5 hours, and will be offered to only 16 people so as to increase your learning and personal feedback opportunities.
This advanced course is for those who have been a Quokka or an Antechinus (essential prerequisite), or have experience in improvisation and have a basic knowledge of musical theory.
- Over five weeks we explore the finer details of solo-ing on the ukulele.
- We’ll closely explore rhythm and phrasing, melodies, chord inversions, scales and more to set us up for a good solo.
- We will work on general musicianship, playing to the ukulele’s strengths, in particular chord and melody phrasing.
- This course is for those who seek to finesse their skills in improvisation.
Who are the Teachers?
Mark Jackson and Jane Jelbart, from The Sum of the Parts (music), are well known at ukulele and folk clubs and festivals in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA and other places. We have also published two books on their teaching method and business model.
However for this course we bring in the Master – one of the best uke players in Australia. Sam Lemann is a Melbourne based musician, who has been a guitar ace for hire since the mid 1980s. He unfortunately reached the pinnacle of his career in 1985, winning the Tamworth Country Music Festival flatpicker of the year. His downhill run since then has involved an intimate embrace of the ukulele, including (since 2009) annual pilgrimages to Hawai’i to play and study with ukulele greats including Byron Yasui, Benny Chong, Kimo Hussey, and Herb Ohta Jnr. Need further convincing about his humble ukulele skills? Watch this video. And relax.
What do you need?
- An ukulele. Baritone ukes are ok (if you know what you are doing), but you must have a capo available.
- To be an experienced ukulele player
- A printer or a separate ipad or device to view your music.
- Headphones are preferable, or good speakers.
- Standard microphone on your device or computer is ok.
- A separate device (like a phone) to record your solos and to repost them.
7-8:30pm Wednesday nights
14th October to 11 November 2020
The cost for five weeks is $150.