Are you looking to take your bass playing to the next level?
Consider this course!
Whether you’ve just started messing around and are wondering where to go next, or have been playing for years and are looking to close the gaps in your knowledge.
This course is for people with at least some prior knowledge of playing bass. You need to be going to ukestra OR be attending a ukulele group in your own region. If you are new to bass and still want to take the course, you can fast track your learning by reading the incredibly informative text ‘UBASSics’. You can buy a virtual copy HERE for $19.95.
This is a FIXED course over 6 consecutive weeks that will be offered in person (in Newcastle) and on Zoom. Each session is 1.5 hours and will be recorded so that you can listen back to the lesson each week. You will be required to upload your homework to Facebook (or other media) as well.
What will you Learn?
- How to play the basic shapes and patterns that you’ll use in your everyday bass playing.
- How to recognise and play different styles of music.
- How to play well with a band or group (particularly a ukestra)
- How to improve your feel
- How to analyse the bass part when listening to songs
- Some Bass history (for inspiration)
- And other valuable tips and tidbits
Who are the Teachers?
John Wallace will be leading you through the course, with assistance from Mark Jackson.
John started playing bass because none of his school ensembles needed (or wanted) a ukulele player. Now John has been playing for almost a decade and has been a part of numerous rock and jazz groups. He also accompanied 35 different people in their HSC music performances and has played bass in the orchestra for various local musicals. He has great feel, expression and really knows his music theory. But best of all he knows how to break this down for his students.
Mark is a novice who plays (rather well) bass upside down, and is happy to defer to the young master, and assist him in whatever way possible.
What do you need?
- A Ubass. Or a bass guitar. Preferably good quality. (or good enough)
- A copy of UBASSics is very helpful to make sure we’re all up to the same level.
- A regular ukestra (or ukulele group) that you attend
- A printer or an ipad or device to view your music.
- A device to record yourself and post the video to Facebook.
- A good attitude. Be ready to learn and try new things.
If you’re Zooming In…
- Headphones are preferable, or good speakers.
- Standard microphone on your device or computer is ok.
After a very successful first run, we are now waiting for a second batch of bassists to come through. If you are interested in participating in the course then please let us know!
The cost for 6 weeks is $170. You will receive a confirmation email with bank deposit details.