We believe that music is for sharing joyous time together. Everyone should do it, and the ukulele is the best and often first way to do it together.
Maybe you need a beginners workshop? Or maybe you want to just go to the main game – ukestras! Read on for our schedule (including for the Newkestra for newbies every Saturday morning).
The ukulele is the best first instrument (and for many people – the last!), and the best way to learn uke (and to play music) is with others. Our ukestras are designed to help you learn and enjoy in a low-stress, fun environment. We have a lot of fun, and get to have new experiences in life because of the ukulele. We are sooooo proud of the following video, shot and produced by a lovely French couple (called Groovy Banana).
The Sum of the Parts (music) holds regular 2 hour beginners classes and we have a session called the Newkestra designed for new players where we take it slow and easy. If you already play guitar then you may just fit straight into any of our ukestras.
This Google Map will let you zoom right into the various Ukestra locations in the Lower Hunter.
The Weekly Ukestra Schedule
- The Newkestra – a Ukestra for Newbies – Carrington Bowling Club, 10:30am-12:30pm
- Mornings – Tomaree Ukestra – Fingal Bay Sports Club. 9:30am, with Mark (half hour beginner lesson available from 8:45am)
- Evenings – Maitland Ukestra – Grand Junction Hotel. 6:30pm, with Mark (half hour beginner lesson available from 5:45pm, please call)
- Evenings – Merewether Bowlo (Caldwell St, Merewether) – 5:45-7:45, with Jane
- Afternoons – LakeMacUkestra – with Mark at the Teralba Bowling Club in the 2:30-4:30pm timeslot. The Teralba Bowling Club is on York St, Teralba, right on the romantic Cockle Creek water front.
- Evenings – Ukastle Ukestra – each Tuesday night with Mark. Merewether Bowls Club (Caldwell St, Merewether). 6:15 – 8:30pm.
- Evenings – Ukestra@The Edwards – yep. At The Edwards, Newcastle West – 7-9pm with Mark, Jane, John and Jack (sharing the love and the load).
- Ukestral Voices – Choir with Jane (with a little ukulele, but a strong focus on singing) – Fridays 2-3.45pm, Adamstown Uniting Church Hall (Barnes Room), cnr Glebe and Brunker Rds.